Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tonights Run

Run Gone Wild II!

My runs are not exciting, I am pretty vanilla when it comes to them. But lately I feel that someone has turned up the intensity meter. This run was meant to be easy. From the start we had technical issues. Garmin didn't want to connect (it took about 6 minutes to locate satellites) then the HR monitor was all over the place, and I mean all over the place it was showing in the 180s right from the get go. After about 2/3 of a mile it finally settled down and it showed I was in the 140s. I say Hell Yeah!! Then at about 1 mile I was in the 150s and this run was now getting wild, like a college girl at Mardi Gras. This run was showing signs of being out of control.

Ah, Houston we have a problem. The alert lights are flashing!!! Pit stop is needed, good thing I am running next to woods! I can wait..no I can't...yes I can!, NO YOU CAN'T. So by Mile 1.5 I have to duck into woods. Check for ticks, check! and we are off again.

And once again the heart rate is low again. Yes, but wait I am going uphill, HR climbing as I do. NO!! Why dose this always happen!! Settle down, and I try to get the pace down, I almost succeed. Oh well, lets just get through this the best I can.

Mile 2, gone, mile 3 uneventful and then it happened. The Run took over, as I come down off the hill, I feel myself accelerating, HR is climbing, and this run is begging for beads! The sweat is pounding. I feel great and then it happened.

What is IT? It is the iPod Devil took over. A brief side note is now needed. My iPod music is all over the place, I mean all over. I have everything from classic, to metal, to hit hop, to club to whatever. When the iPod Devil strikes, its usually at the wrong place with the wrong tune (thing high tempo at the end of a long run as you are going uphill...you get it)Tonight would be no different.

What could possibly have come on? Oh my dear friends, it was sinister. It was nothing else then:

Non Nobis Domini by Patrick Doyle from the movie Henry V



Yes, a choir singing into my ear. But it was not slowing my pace, instead it was causing Me to pick up my pace. Now I want you picture this, as I run southbound, to my right across the meadow the sun is going down, so there is nothing but the orange hue of a setting sun, add to this heavenly music in my years, as light breeze nipping at my face, and my little 4.5 mile run becomes 4.75 and finally a full 5 miles. It was awesome. This nice girl of a run had turned into a wild party girl (please try to read this in the voice of Bruno Tonioli, the Judge on Dancing With The Stars)Keeping to designated heart rate or pace, gone! Trying to keep control of the run instead of it controlling me, guilty as charged!

Oh well, there will be other runs. I feel great, so something right is going on.

OK here are the numbers for today's run:

Distance: 5 miles
Time: 55:46
Pace: 11:07 mpm
Calories: 834 cal
AVG HR 161
max speed 6:45 mpm
max HR 183(somewhere around mile 5)

No comments:

Send emails to tony@gravato.com