Sunday, August 5, 2007

Saturday and it isn't a day in the park (8/4/2007)

Not much to say on this except that by 6 it was already feeling like 90+, thanks to humidity in the 90s, This run is not going to be good, and after yesterday's disaster I needed a good one.

And oh by the way, I plan on going to the lab after my run for a blood test, yep, I am insane, I have been fasting since last night, I am just asking for trouble. Plan is going to be for 14, I will be glad with 12. This run has all the makings of a disaster written all over it. Boy, I could not have been more correct. I wish I was wrong.

I took enough water, tried to maintain easy pace, but I ma cooked. My legs have no life left in them. This run was tough. And lets not forget that the run was for the most part an out and back, that rolled from mile to mile.

Lets see how the miles went

  1. 10:40 (nice easy pace OK, this has potential)
  2. 10:20 (OK, I picked up the pace on a uphill stretch, not good)
  3. 10:09 (slightly downhill feeling OK, holding pace)
  4. 9:53 (road goes down, feeling good, feeling too good)
  5. 9:51 (road goes up now, slightly but up, I am going to pay for this pace)
  6. 9:56 (now at the turn around I have to go in the opposite direction, pay time is coming)
  7. 9:51 (OK going up and I am feeling too good, feel like I am starting to consume too much water)
  8. 10:12 (uphill, hot, and I am almost out of water, and its getting hotter. Boy am I hungry)
  9. 10:14 (time to change route, the idea of facing two miles of pretty good uphills is not appealing)
  10. 12:11 (holding my own, and then a little over 9.5, I am forced to start walking, this is bad)
  11. 10:25 (holding on, and finishing, my shoes are completely drenched in sweat as am I, its hot)

Avg of 10:21, so had I held a easy 10:30 pace, I would have been OK, but those middle fast miles did me in. More importantly not having anything to eat made the situation worse. I can't fool around with nutrition, if I don't fuel I am in trouble the whole run.

As a side note, the lab tech had a hard time finding my vein, shocker considering how dehydrated I was. I am shocked she was able to keep poking around till she found one.

Spent the rest of the morning at Build a Bear for a birthday party, then on the drive home, took detour and scouted directions to Batsto. Looks like next Sunday morning will be spent there for the Pig Iron 5K

Not overly happy with this run, but legs feel OK, they felt so good, I jumped around with the kids at the birthday party. I am going to try to eat enough today so tomorrow's run will not be so bad.

I need to finish the week off on a good note.

No comments:

Send emails to tony@gravato.com