Thursday, April 16, 2009

Last night's run

So the rain managed to subside, wife took kids to the movies, and I decided to go for a run.
It was about 7:30, it was getting dark very quickly, the clouds didn't help the situation either. I didn't take my headlamp and that was just stupid on my part, because Mathistown, was very dark and scary. I swear the Jersey Devil is roaming in the woods. LOL I also need to remember to take some pictures, I want everyone to experience the ambiance. LOL x 2

So I also tried to finally get a podcast down, this was like my 4th time. I had just received my Griffin iTalk and I attached an external microphone to it. I set the iPod at high quality recording ( I had 102 MB free) and set off. I rambled and rambled, a car full of girls tried to scare me by screaming like banshees as they flashed by. I had planned on trying to go slow and once I started talking, I got very slow, like ridiculously slow. Finally after deciding I had rambled enough. I went to stop the recording and it had been stopped for quite a while, turns out at high quality, you use quite a lot of memory space. Oh well, live and learn! I listened to what was recorded and it was horrible, I had cracks and pops it was windy. I think based upon where I had it, it was bouncing too much, plus I remember reading someplace to put some foam around the mic helps to suppress some of the background noise, crackles and pops (?). So I think I found a work around for that by putting a foam ear pad from a ear bud over the mic, can't wait to try that. I will keep you informed. Hopefully I can finally put the podcast out there!

Well back to the running part, my pace was slowing, but heart rate stayed pretty good and I had no issues with breathing, Thats all good. By the time I finished I felt like I could have gone for another 2 miles, which means maybe I was going too slow. But this was essentially a shake down run to see how I was feeling, so I was cool with the very slow pace.

I did have an issue with my shoes. I went with my Saucony Omnis, mostly because of there mid sole height. I figured it would help through the puddles. It did, but at the cost of my knees feeling like crap when i finished, so I am barring them to everyday, non running use. They look good, but i never felt truly comfortable running in them.

So two weeks post surgery, I have to say that I feel very good. Plans are to go slow for a while, base train and then get on with the program. I feel good things are a coming this October. I feel very optimistic.

4 comments:

Drusy said...

hey Tony! You're dedicated to head out in the evening! I want to try a griffin italk too. My Iriver is just another bit of kit to carry around and the conversion sync is a hassle. but if you use the italk, you can log miles with nike+ hmm.. tradeoffs everywhere...

Tony said...

Toni, thanks for the nice words, but no one ever sais I was right in the head anyway.

So far I have yet to be able to get anything down, although I am close!!

I use Garmin, so the Nike+ is not an issue. But I do have a problem with not being able to listen to music while using it and that I have to disconnect headphones, insert iTalk, record remove, insert headphones. It can be a little nerve racking. But I paid $10 on eBay for it (free shipping, I wanted a iRiver but tehy were considerably more, but right now its more of a learning experience with it then anything else.

Thanks for stopping on by :-)

NB said...

Tony, good for you taking it slow! It's a marathon, not a sprint. LOL.

Tony said...

Nicole you are so right! Plus not to mention the marathon isnt till October, so lots of time to become fast!

Send emails to tony@gravato.com