Sunday, July 29, 2007

The weekend runs

It was the best of both worlds.

Some parts of Sat and Sun runs were OK, some miles sucked!! The heat and humidity were horrible, and this was at 5 and 6 in the morning.

SATURDAYS RUN:

The splits:

  1. 10:53
  2. 10:31
  3. 10:30
  4. 10:06
  5. 10:10
  6. 9:49
  7. 10:11
  8. 10:00
  9. 9:51
  10. 10:07
  11. 10:01
  12. 9:59
  13. 4:50 (.5 mile only)

I wasn't going to go had it was humid, so I just settled in for a very slow and sluggish run, tried to keep my splits close together. Legs felt real good afterwards, I really want a good cool weather spell to see what the legs can do.

I am starting to think a lot of my difficulties are in the fact I am not getting enough food. I have to really watch what I eat, and since I am trying to lose weight as well, this is not conducive to running a lot of miles. Getting over 45 miles a week, means have to start eating like a marathoner again..high carbs...which is not good if you are tying to lose 20 pounds.

Sunday, Definitely not a day in the park...

The splits:

  1. 10:53 (same 1st mile split as yesterday, what is that about?)
  2. 10:54
  3. 11:00 (good lord, I feel like crap!!)
  4. 10:40
  5. 10:46(had a banana, hope it helps)
  6. 9:49 (long incline, feeling very good)
  7. 9:31
  8. 9:52
  9. 9:44
  10. 9:46
  11. 9:58 (OK, time to start cooling these legs down)
  12. 9:27 (OK, just a little faster than I wanted)
  13. 3:10 (.3 miles)

OK, if you take away the first 4 miles, I love this work out. I wanted to go easy, because of the humidity. But those splits are insanely slow!! Plus, it was 5 in the morning, very dark and scarcely lit road. there is a nature preserve to my right and I hear rustling from the deer and other critters in the woods. At one point I saw a deer duck into the woods, he wouldn't be the last. At mile 10 I startled 3 small deer and they pranced and darted into the woods.

This is Jersey Devil country and I will tell you that I was spooked until the sun came up. Plus since this is also a state highway, cars were zinging by at about 60-65 MPH

It wasn't until mile 6 that I started to feel very good. It was also at that point that I logged my 50th mile for this week; a new personal best for me. I am at 56.3 for the week and thinking about trying to squeeze another 4 in so I could get over 60, but the weather is turning very bad, thunderstorms are in the area and my legs probably need the rest. Sixty for the week can wait till next week. I am very happy with my training this week. Considering the humidity and how I felt, I feel very strong. Tomorrow will probably be a rest day.

No comments:

Send emails to tony@gravato.com